Nicole Raymond, also known as NikNak, is a DJ & Turntablist who specializes in playing eclectic styles of music in her sets. One goal of hers is to continue developing the role and general perception of a DJ/Turntablist by incorporating self-recorded soundscapes and multi-channel performances. She brings her experience in DJ-ing and wide musical knowledge across into each of her sets from continually incorporating a wide array of genres, to experimenting with new mixing and scratching techniques.
A storyteller in her own right, Nicole is devoted to developing her practice as a composer and turntablist by incorporating real-world sounds and vocalized emotions into her compositions, then translating her experiences (both personal and professional) into immersive live & improvised performances. She is also a strong advocate for diverse representstion in the music industry, especially within the DJ and music production realms, and musician wellbeing/mental health.
Having graduated with a degree in Music Technology and Innovation from DMU in 2013, Nicole has also studied an MA in Electronic and Computer Music at the University of Leeds. She has taught students at MAP (Music and Arts Production), The DJ School and Lifeforce Productions. Previously she has worked with Pedestrian, Dreaming In Colour Productions and 2FunkyArts in Leicester, and believes that music should be continually pushed to further people’s imaginations, both as audience members and performers.
Nicole is based in the UK, where you’ll find her digging for either vinyl or comic books, gigging in and around Leeds, experimenting and sharing her music tastes to diverse audiences, or delivering engaging sessions with students to develop their DJ skills, and presenting the weekly arts and culture show “Backstage” on BBC Radio Leeds.
Currently, she is affiliated with House of Verse in Leicester, Girls That Gig, Equaliser and SlutDrop in Leeds, has completed artistic residencies by Brighter Sound, collaborated with Shiva Feshareki and Anna Meredith, and is a participant in the Huddersfield Professional Development Programme for Female Composers of Electronic Music at the University of Huddersfield (2019).
Other notable achievements include:
- Performed at Resonance Festival and Bestival in 2017.
- Completed artist-in-residencies in May 2017 at the ARTErra Gallery, Tondela, Portugal, and the Lakkos Gallery in Crete, Greece in April 2018.
- Has completed residencies at Sage Gateshead in Summer Studios and the Great Exhibition of the North and the Hexagon Project residency 2018.
- Performed at Chin Up Festival 2016 and 2018
- Has previously supported Cakes Da Killa, DJM, DJ Format, Jon 1st, Dead Players, Akala, Chynna, MJ Cole, Bambooman, Pye Corner Audio, Objekt Blu, Grandmaster Flash, and Princess Nokia.