Simply put, Nicole Raymond/NikNak, works as many roles within the music industry.
A storyteller in her own right, Nicole is devoted to developing her unique practice as a sound artist, composer, producer, sound engineer, radio presenter, DJ, and Turntablist by incorporating real-world sounds and vocalized emotions into her compositions, translating her experiences (both personal and professional) into immersive live & improvised performances. She is also a strong advocate for diverse representation in the music industry, especially within the DJ and music production realms, and musician wellbeing/mental health.
Having graduated with a degree in Music Technology and Innovation from DMU in 2013, Nicole has also studied an MA in Electronic and Computer Music at the University of Leeds. She has taught students at MAP (Music and Arts Production), The DJ School and Lifeforce Productions. Previously she has worked with Pedestrian, Dreaming In Colour Productions and 2FunkyArts in Leicester, and believes that music should be continually pushed to further people’s imaginations, both as audience members and performers. Nicole is based in the UK, where you’ll find her digging for either vinyl or comic books, gigging in and around Leeds, experimenting and sharing her music tastes to diverse audiences, or delivering engaging sessions with students to develop their DJ skills, and running events within Leeds such as “Dub Sirens” and “Melanin”.
Currently, Nicole can be found presenting the weekly arts and culture show “Backstage” on BBC Radio Leeds. She is also affiliated with House of Verse in Leicester, Girls That Gig, Equaliser, and SlutDrop in Leeds, has completed artistic residencies by Brighter Sound and collaborated with Shiva Feshareki and Anna Meredith, and is a participant in the Huddersfield Professional Development Programme for Female Composers of Electronic Music at the University of Huddersfield (2019).
Other notable achievements include:
2016 – 2018
- Performed at Resonance Festival and Bestival
- Completed artist-in-residencies in May 2017 at the ARTErra Gallery, Tondela, Portugal, and the Lakkos Gallery in Crete, Greece in April 2018.
- Has completed residencies at Sage Gateshead in Summer Studios and the Great Exhibition of the North and the Hexagon Project residency 2018.
- Performed at Chin Up Festival 2016 and 2018
- Performed at Bradford Literature Festival 2018, supporting Akala, Lowkey and Layfullstop.
- Performed at BeatBack and supported Object Blue, Bambooman, Pye Corner Audio and Boe&Lx.
2019 so far…
- Speaker at Unconference: A day of panels, workshops, presentations and networking for those working in, or aspiring to work in the music industry.
- Chaired the Lights, Camera, and Equality event – Part of the UNESCO Bradford Film Festival and in partnership with BBC Radio Leeds.
- Performed at Wilderness Festival with Live Art Bistro, We Out Here Festival, Leeds International Festival, Leeds Digital Festival, Bradford Literature Festival and Tor Fest in 2019.
- Performed and was a Panelist at the Sonic Symposium.
- Performed at Juicebox in Leeds International Festival and supported Tommy Cash, Yves Tumor and Karnage Kills
- Performed at Bradford Literature Festival and supported King Midas Sound, Lady Leshurr and Saul Williams.
- Panelist at the SPARC Conference, and at the PRSF Talent Development Conference (both based in Sheffield)
- Organized events such as Dub Sirens and Melanin, both in Leeds.
- Has supported artists such as DJ Format, Jon 1st, Akala, Chynna, MJ Cole, Grandmaster Flash, Madlib, and Princess Nokia.